- August 22, 2014: Chief suspect pleads guilty in Cuban human trafficking group that included Rangers OF Martin - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
A man accused of masterminding a human trafficking ring pleaded guilty Friday to U.S. Eliezer Lazo, 41, entered the plea Friday in Miami federal court. Lazo is already serving a five-year prison sentence for money laundering in a Medicare fraud case and now faces up to 20 additional years behind bars. Lazo agreed to co-operate with investigators, which could reduce his prison time when he is ...
- August 21, 2014: Human trafficking to Britain rising, police say - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The numbers of people trafficked into Britain and Northern Ireland are likely to rise again in 2014 after a leap of almost 50 percent last year, police said on Wednesday. Almost 50 possible victims are found each week, figures from the National Crime Agency (NCA) said. The discovery of 34 Afghan Sikhs and one dead man in a shipping container, and of 15 migrants in a truck on a motorway, has ...
- August 20, 2014: Man released over human trafficking investigation in Armagh - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
PSNI detectives are sending a file to the Public Prosecution Service following labour exploitation operation.
- August 19, 2014: Abu Dhabi Police launch education drive against human trafficking - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The department kicked off the first in a series of courses on the subject on Sunday at the Comprehensive Police Stations Department of Al Ain Police Directorate. The Criminal Investigation Department (CID) at the Abu Dhabi Police GHQ has launched its first education campaign to acquaint staff members with the concepts of combating human trafficking on the local and international levels. The ...
- August 19, 2014: N.Ireland police rescue 20 in human trafficking swoop - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
Police in Northern Ireland have rescued 20 possible victims of human trafficking in an investigation into labour exploitation, authorities said on Tuesday. Three suspects aged 23, 27 and 31 were arrested on suspicion of "human trafficking, forced labour and slavery and money laundering" the Police Service of Northern Ireland said. The investigation is "linked to food production", police said ...
- July 08, 2014: What's your slavery footprint? - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By Allyssia Alleyne How many slaves work for you? If you’ve answered “zero,” you’re probably way off. At least that’s the premise behind Slavery Footprint, an online survey developed by the U.S. State Department and anti-slavery organization Made in a Free World. The web interactive invites users to insert information about their consumer habits and […]
- June 30, 2014: 'End Slavery Now' relaunches Website - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
"End Slavery Now' has relaunched its website to help people understand more about global slavery and unite those fighting to stop it. The U.S.-based abolitionist group, founded in 2009, produced the new site to show the global reach of modern day slavery, but also, crucially, to showcase its partners around the world who are tackling […]
- June 26, 2014: Nepal's Organ Trail: How traffickers steal kidneys - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
On the streets of Kathmandu, the sight of people begging for kidney treatment has become common. The capital of Nepal is no different from many places in the world where aging populations, poor diets and no health insurance systems mean increased organ disease. The organ in highest demand is the kidney and black market traffickers […]
- June 25, 2014: FBI shuts website allegedly linked to child prostitution - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
The FBI has shut down a website advertising children for prostitution - a move made as part of a broader crackdown on the sex trafficking of minors, law enforcement sources told CNN on condition of anonymity.
- June 20, 2014: Nepal's Organ Trail: Coming soon on CNN - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
The CNN Freedom Project first exposed the horrific practice of organ trafficking in Egypt, with the documentary "Death in the Desert". Now we travel to a tiny district in Nepal where hundreds of people have had their kidneys stolen by organ traffickers. The problem has become so widespread, the district has developed the unfortunate reputation […]