- November 28, 2014: Five of family jailed in Ras Al Khaimah for human trafficking - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The parents had forced their daughters to work as domestic helpers in some houses, and used to beat them up to force them to have sex with men.
- November 24, 2014: Child trafficking on the rise: UN - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
One in three victims of human trafficking worldwide is a child, many of them subject to sexual exploitation or forced labour, a UN report said Monday.
- November 24, 2014: 23 foreign women rescued from human trafficking syndicate - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
KOTA BARU: Twenty-three foreign women believed to be victims of a human trafficking syndicate were rescued by the Immigration Department in a special operation in Gua Musang town on Sunday. Deputy state Immigration director Siti Khadijah Hamzah said the women — 21 Thais and one each from Cambodia and Laos — were rescued from five karaoke outlets. “The immigration officers led by federal ...
- November 24, 2014: Rise in human trafficking victims - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The number of human trafficking victims identified in the UK has more than doubled since 2010, according to a United Nations (UN) report.
- November 23, 2014: Gov’t vows stronger campaign vs modern slavery - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The Philippines has one of the worst modern slavery problems in the Asia-Pacific, but it also garnered the top spot in the 2014 edition of the Global Slavery Index (GSI) among countries “making comparatively strong efforts with limited resources” in the campaign against human trafficking. Malacañang said the country’s ranking in the 2014 GSI by the Walk Free Foundation should encourage various ...
- November 19, 2014: Q&A with Sanjay Rawal, director of Food Chains - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Food Chains, a documentary that examines the plight of farm laborers in the U.S., releases to the American public on Friday. CNN asked its director, Sanjay Rawal, about the movie and how it came to be made. CNN: How did you come to learn about this issue, and why did you decide a film needed […]
- November 18, 2014: Fight for freedom on U.S. farms documented by Food Chains movie - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Do you care about who grows your food - and in what conditions these farm laborers work? A new movie called Food Chains releases in the U.S. on Friday. The documentary, produced by actress Eva Longoria and narrated by Oscar winner Forest Whitaker, examines working conditions for laborers harvesting tomatoes in Immokalee, Florida, and grapes […]
- November 05, 2014: ISIS says Islam justifies slavery - what does Islamic law say? - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
Professor Bernard Freamon teaches courses on modern-day slavery and human trafficking at Seton Hall University School of Law in New Jersey and also specializes in Islamic Legal History. He is currently writing a book, “Islam, Slavery and Empire in the Indian Ocean World.” The views in this article are his alone. By Professor Bernard Freamon […]
- October 30, 2014: 'Treated like cattle': Yazidi women sold, raped, enslaved by ISIS - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By Ivan Watson Jana was a 19-year-old in her final year of high school, with dreams of becoming a doctor. Then, ISIS came to her village last August. She described to me in chilling detail, how the jihadis first demanded that members of her Yazidi religious minority convert to Islam. Then they stripped villagers of […]
- October 21, 2014: Report shines light on slave labor in U.S. - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
They work on U.S. construction sites and farms, in restaurants and hotels, even in homes. Foreign workers, lured by false promises of good jobs in America, soon find themselves enslaved in plain sight as victims of labor trafficking, according to a new report published by the nonpartisan Urban Institute and Northeastern University.