- April 16, 2014: Probe ‘Yolanda’ human trafficking – lady solons - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
Lady solons from the House minority bloc yesterday sought a congressional inquiry into the alleged trafficking of women in areas ravaged by super typhoon Yolanda over five months ago. Reps. Luzviminda Ilagan and Emmi de Jesus (Party-List, Gabriela), authors of Resolution 780, asked the Committees on Women and Gender Equality and Welfare of Children to investigate reports that trafficking of ...
- April 16, 2014: Probe on human trafficking in disaster-hit areas sought - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
Lady solons from the House Minority are seeking a congressional inquiry into the alleged trafficking of women in the disaster-stricken provinces. Gabriela partylist Reps. Luzviminda Ilagan and Emmi de Jesus, authors of House Resolution 780, asked the House Committees on Women and Gender Equality, and Welfare of Children to investigate reports that trafficking of women and children are rampant in ...
- April 13, 2014: Human trafficking rare charge for Nova Scotia police - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
RCMP say human trafficking is a rare charge in Nova Scotia, but applies to what police allege happened over two days in a North Preston basement late last week.
- April 12, 2014: ‘Strongest response possible’ needed to combat human trafficking in Ireland - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
The Immigrant Council of Ireland is calling for a range of measures to be introduced in Ireland’s next anti-trafficking plan.
- April 10, 2014: Special Report: Flaws found in Thailand's human-trafficking crackdown - human trafficking - Yahoo News Search Results
By Andrew R.C. Marshall and Amy Sawitta Lefevre SATUN, Thailand (Reuters) - After a two-hour trek through swamp and jungle, Police Major General Thatchai Pitaneelaboot halts in a trash-strewn clearing near Thailand's remote border with Malaysia. Just weeks before, says Thatchai, hundreds of Rohingya Muslim refugees from Myanmar were held captive here by one of the shadowy gangs who have turned ...
- April 10, 2014: Drive to end child marriage stalls, but fightback begins - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By Gordon Brown, U.N. Special Envoy for Global Education Editor's note: Gordon Brown is a United Nations Special Envoy on Global Education. He was formerly the UK's prime minister. It is a descent into barbarism. This month’s plan by Iraqi parliamentarians to legalize girl marriage at nine follows the Pakistan Islamic Council’s demand last month […]
- April 02, 2014: Pineapple program fights traffickers in Sierra Leone - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By John Lyon, Special for CNN Editor's note: John Lyon is the President and CEO of World Hope International. Based in the United States, WHI is a direct partner of Sierra Leone in the fight against human trafficking. In Sierra Leone, WHI helps trafficking victims find a safe, healthy life through emergency after-care and community […]
- April 02, 2014: Brazil tackling child prostitution for World Cup - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
By Shasta Darlington, CNN The newly-renovated Castelao football stadium looms into sight up ahead. Driving just past it, we see women standing on street corners, leaning into cars and flashing nearly naked bodies in the low light. We're in Fortaleza in the northeastern corner of Brazil, one of the World Cup host cities but also […]
- March 21, 2014: Australian billionaire unites religious leaders in an anti-slavery initiative - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
This week Pope Francis, the Archbishop of Canterbury who is head of the Anglican Church, and the Grand Imam of the al-Azhar mosque in Egypt, Islam's highest-ranking Sunni cleric, united to tackle modern day slavery. Their representatives gathered at the Vatican to sign on to the Global Freedom Network, an initiative launched by Australian billionaire […]
- March 21, 2014: 'Every Day in Cambodia' repeat showing - The CNN Freedom Project: Ending Modern-Day Slavery
The Freedom Project documentary, "Every Day in Cambodia", first broadcast last year, airs again this weekend. The film, presented by actress Mira Sorvino, documents the appalling plight of children sold into sex slavery, sometimes by their own mothers, and the people fighting to stop the practice. Watch it on CNN International at the following times […]